11.03.2010

Erland & The Carnival :: "Trouble In Mind"

Sounding a bit like the traveling roadshow their name insinuates, Erland & The Carnival craft a specific brand of post-folk that manages to be hushed without telling any secrets. In fact, it is perhaps the directness of the lyrics on the rambling, "Trouble In Mind" that prove most compelling. The unavoidable admission of the chorus, "I didn't mean to disappoint you/I'm just sorry that I had to" gains an even sharper edge on the back of the second couplet, "Didn't mean to disappoint you/I'm just sorry that I did." The arrangement slams its doors shut, shrugs with pointed and only partial regret, and shuffles down the road with a wake of casual destruction in its rearview mirror.

Listen :: Erland & The Carnival - "Trouble In Mind"

Erland & The Carnival played Knitting Factory last night and take the stage at Mercury Lounge this evening.

No comments: