1.15.2009

Neko Case :: "People Got A Lot Of Nerve"

Neko Case sounds like nothing but destruction, abject sadness, and emotional betrayal. Needless to say, I couldn't be more excited to hear from her again. She's like a little window into disaster. She's like a little postcard from hell. She probably broke my heart. Needless to say, I still answer her calls.

It's been three years since Fox Confessor Brings The Flood and not much has changed. "People Got A Lot Of Nerve" is nothing new. The guitars are still plaintive and leading. The melody is haunting, the lyrics abstract and leveling. Her voice is still a tsunami of low-end sadness. It's been three years and absolutely nothing has changed. So, explain my excitement?

This is a woman who kept me hiding from daylight for the majority of 2006. This is a woman who actively promoted the use of opiates. This is a woman who effectively stabbed me in the chest, left me for dead and then re-appeared out of nowhere to do it again. And I still answer her calls. It's not pretty and on some level it's probably painful. But you let her back in because you still like her. And you never really let her go.

Listen :: Neko Case - "People Got A Lot Of Nerve"

No comments: