2.24.2009

Shout Out Out Out Out :: "Guilt Trips Sink Ships"

I won't blame you if you don't make it to the good part of this song. They're called Shout Out Out Out Out. It's a long intro and, frankly, it's not even a good one. Bad looped drums, artificial snaps, wood-block, and then some really spacey synth-work makes for a brutal two minutes. But, if you make it, you might get underneath this thing. Even if you get to the first verse, it'll be a challenge to accept vocals that sound like they're being recorded in the bastard child of an airplane hanger and a Zoob Tube.

What I'm saying is complicated. I don't know why I enjoy this song. I don't have a single good reason. But that doesn't stop it from being a little effervescent and a little necessary. It doesn't stop me from driving around the corner of Brooklyn and looking at the Financial District across the river and thinking, "holy hell, the world is on fire and I don't know if I care." This song is the soundtrack to something brilliantly apathetic. It's not bad, even though you might think that. It's not bad, even though you might have a right to say so.

The melody is infected with something. I can't place what it reminds me of (except the tonal similarity to Airborne Toxic Event's famous line, "well it's awful I guess/but it's the awful truth"). Something about the melody, the vocals, the whole thing just stomps. It makes you nod your head. It makes you want to sing along (go get your Zoob tube from 1991). It makes you feel better. An as much as you hear people argue we need to care more - maybe we need to care less. Maybe the Financial District has always looked like a covered candle and maybe the world needs a little less fire.

Listen :: Shout Out Out Out Out :: "Guilt Trips Sink Ships"

No comments: